The pictures at the end of these links are all from the collection of Bob Schmidt. Bob grew up overlooking the Junction area (see the History page for more info) and he took a great many photos, these are a select few.
The images are sequentially numbered so you can roll through the set by just increasing the image number in your Browser Address Bar.
Return to Home page
Tunnel South Portal -- 1968
Tunnel Car House Front Yard -- 1969
Tunnel Car House Front Yard -- 1970
Sweeper M-29 in Back Yard -- 1970
High Floor Car M-454 Mid Yard -- 1974
High Floor Car M-452 (Vandalized) Mid Yard -- 1971
Weed Sprayer Car M-517 in Back yard -- 1971
Crane/Rail Car M-283 in Back Yard -- 1973
Back Yard Palm Garden becomes Rail Storage Yard -- 1969
Abandoned 40 Mt. Washington line adjacent to No. 1 Tunnel Care House -- 1971
Car 1799 heads East from Junction to Warrington -- 1981.
Why is this car numbered 1799. It appears to be an interurban car (it has a headlight) so why is it going to Warrington
Car 1764 heading toward Junction -- 1972.
Wide angle photo showing the Hollow.
Car 1764 (53 Carrick) heads west to the Junction -- 1967.
Note the Spur used for car scrapping operations.
Looking toward the Junction from the Harwood St. Stop.
Turnout/Spur was for scrapping operations.
PCC Graveyard Awaiting the Cutting Torch -- 1967.
Looks like the cat was on the layout again.
Administration Building -- 1969.
A Westbound Car (53 Carrick) passes three PCCs on their final trip on the Beltzhoover Route-- 1972.
Trolley Enthusiasts Photograph and Ride Cars on the Final Trip of the 49 Route -- 1972.
Do you recognize yourself? Another fan trip for the chronicle .
44 Knoxville Car heads Westbound toward the Junction -- 1972.
48 Arlington Eastbound from the Junction to Warrington Ave. -- 1970.
Car 1747 heading for the Tunnel and Downtown Pittsburgh -- 1974.
Shannon-Drake 1724 heading Downtown -- 1979.
New Port Authority Color Schemes -- 1981.
Note busway paralleling the shrinking car yard.
A retrofitted Dormont Car meanders Westbound from Warrington -- 1975.
Note the rail yard.
Expanded Rail Yard and Tie Storage with Relocated Spur/Turnout -- 1980.
A narrow angle profile of the Storage Yard, its Security Fence, and Turnout -- 1980.
M283 Loading Rail for Track Replacement work on the Overbrook Route -- 1980.
M-283 with its Operator, Tom Hannon, at the Haberman Rail Yard -- 1980.
Out of service PCCs await their fate on dead-end track at the south end of Warrington -- 1971.
Tunnel Car House mid-yard scene. Deterioration of cars is evident -- 1970.
Differential Dump M-551 at Sand Loading ramp in the Back Yard -- 1971.
This car was restored by PAT in 1979.
.Line Car M-210 in Tunnel Car House No. 1 awaiting third shift Overhead work -- 1969.
M-210 pulling night duty outside No. 2 Car House in foggy conditions -- 1969.
Administration Building East side view -- 1981.
Administration Building Southwest view -- 1981.
Discontinued trackage East of Junction in preparation for LRT reconstruction -- 1982.
Tunnel Carhouse No. 1 stands in silent testimony to a bygone era -- 1984.
Demolition of the historic South Hills Junction Administration Building -- June 1984.
Powerhouse, Warrington Ave -- 1980.
Demolished several years later
All that is left of M1, the pay car, at PTM.
Bob Schmidt's model of M1.
Early interurban car, I haven't looked up the class etc..
Same type of car as above, probably in Washington PA.
Looking toward Warrington Ave. From the automobiles this appears to be in the late '30s. The trestle still carries streetcars over the loop that was once the P&CSRR. The loop can be identified by the line poles. The trestle was later filled in leaving only the girder bridge that appears on other photos. Looks like a lively game of craps or something going on.
Same scene, earlier time. The loop is clearer in this shot. The foundation for those buildings inside the loop can be seen in the previous picture. Were they from the P&CSRR?
Same time different direction. This is a view up Haberman Ave., before it was paved, taken from Warrington Ave. Lacede St. parallels Haberman just to the left, you can see the sidewalk in front of the row of houses. Between those two streets was the Back Side incline of the P&CSRR. These pictures must have been taken in the late teens since the incline is gone,